Competitive 40k tactics and Battle Reports with the Tyranid Codex

Thursday, October 18, 2012

BeakyCon Game 4: Vs. GK/IG



*Disclaimer on Batreps! I played 6 games this weekend. It's entirely possible I forgot some details, but I'll do what I can to make it as accurate as possible. I may confuse if I blew up a chimera on turn 2 or 3, etc. If you were my opponent in any of these reports, please speak up and correct any errors I made. Also, opponents will be identified by first name only. If anyone would like even that removed, just let me know and it'll disappear.*

Warlord- walking tyrant, armored shell, 2x Devourers, Old adversary, one guard
Flying Hive Tyrant, 2xDevourers
2x3 Hive Guard
2x Zoanthropes
10 gants
19 gants
20 gants
Tervigon #1 with Toxin/Adrenal, 3 powers
Tervigon #2 with Toxin Adrenal, 3 powers
Tervigon #3 with Toxin Adrenal, 3 powers, and Crushing Claws
2x Biovores
This game won't have any pics I'm afraid. This was a tough matchup and I knew it. At this point I had two losses in in 6th edition, and both were to him... he plays the polar opposite an hard counter to my army, so this'll be tough. Only thing worse is Jaws. At the time he was the leading player as far as battlepoints goes, and I was in second, so I was a bit distracted this game. I lost my opponents list, but then found it online. List C+P from Warseer. Coteaz was warlord, and had two divination powers, the ignore cover and re roll to hit ones.

Opponent: Alex

Primary Detachment
Coteaz
Vindicare
4 Jokaero (Fabulously effective all throughout the tournament)
-Chimera w/Searchlight
3 Acolytes with 2 Plasmaguns (Total waste, they just melted themselves all tournament)
-Chimera w/Searchlight
10 Strike Squad (2 Psycannons)
-Psyback
Psyfleman
Psyfleman
Dreadknight w/Incinerator (Superb performance in all but one round, absolutely critical to taking the final match)

Allies
Company Command with 3 plasmaguns and Master of Fleet
-Chimera
Infantry Platoon
-Platoon Command
-2 Infantry Squads
-4 Hvy Weapon Squads w/3 autocannons each
Manticore
Warlord traits: He gets -1 to my reserve, I get something pretty useless. Might have been the re roll outflank one.

Mission: The Mission: Vanguard Strike, the most annoying Deployment GW could conjure up. 4 objectives placed in a sort of "diamond" so that there were two on the 3 foot line of the long edge, each 6" from the board edge, and then there were 2 24" up the short edge, about 18" ish from the short edge. Tiebreaker is KPs. Same as round 3.

Psychic Powers:

Flyrant: endurance, enfeeble.
Tyrant: Iron Arm, Hemorrhage
Zoanthrope 1: Crush, Telekine Dome
Zoanthrope 2: Telekine Dome, Shockwave
Tervigon 1: Endurance, Warp Speed, enfeeble
Tervigon 2: Iron Arm, Life Leech, Enfeeble
Tervigon 3: Iron Arm, Warp Speed, Life Leech

Note: This is diagonal, so I'll be using my long edge as reference. My short edge is to the right, my opponent has the half to the top and left.

The board: large LoS blocking wall in no mans land, ~12" from the top objective and towards my top right corner. Large building in his DZ with several levels. Another large building in the bottom left no mans land, but slightly closer to him. Theres a small building in front of, and short ruins behind, my bottom objective. Everything is ruins, theres one more small building in my DZ and a crater in his that have no impact.

I win and take second turn. Night Fight is in effect.

Deployment GK hybrid: Manticore is way far back corner. Dreadknight is in the front of his lines, between his two large buildings. The three plas henchmen in a Chimera, and 5 basic strikes are in a razor in front of his building in the top center, by that objective.  In the building near that, he has 3 Heavy Weapon squads, 5 Strikes with 2 psycannons, and the Vindicare. Behind the bottom left building are both Infantry squads and the last three autos, as well as Coteaz/monkeys in a Chimera. Psyflemen are to either side of theDreadknight and back a bit. CCS in a chimera is slightly ahead of Coteaz's Chimera, and the PCS is with the Infantry squads.

Deployment Nids: I put 20 gants, the Zoeys and Tervigon 2 (Iron Arm) with 3 hive Guard in the far top right. There's a wall there that can hide the Tervigon easily from LoS, I plan to use it. Bottom left, two Tervis and the Tyrant are all touching area terrain for saves. 19 gants up to the left, 10 well behind. Biovores are also hiding, and then three Hive Guard are behind the area terrain. Flyrants reserved.

Turn 1 GK alliance: Autocannons let loose, I take no wounds (Night Fight) The Manticore hits dead on and I fail a save on both the left Tervis and a Tyrant Guard. More chipping away, I take two more wounds on one Tervi from Psyflemen and Monkeys. The Chimeras and Razback basically lit things up for the Psyflemen and manticore.

Turn 1 Nids: Psy powers all over, and advance on both of my two halves.  Shootings ineffective, I might wound the Dreadknight, but the Biovores are ace and kill an Autocannon team top level, and pin them.  I clear gants away from the wounded Tervi.

Turn 2 GK: Dreadknight advances slightly. More shooting kills the wounded Tervi after crappy FnP saves, which kills7 of the ten man gant squad nearby. Vindicare fails to wound. Manticore kill a Hive Guard

Turn 2 Nids: Advance again, both sides. Psypowers. The Flyrant comes in and sweeps the command squad, killing 4, then shoots the Autocannon teams in the back and kills two, they hold. (Damn T shirts!) Biovores target again, kill an Autocannon from a seperate team. Dreadknight loses one more wound maybe?

Turn 3 GK: The gunline moves a bit and again opens up. I lose another Hive Guard and a wound on a Tervi. Yay for Iron Arm! Dreadknight flames a bunch of gants on the left. Walking Tyrant is down a wound or two.

Turn 3 Nids: Finally have Hive Guard in range. Lone one on left kills a Psyfleman, and the three on right pop a psyback. Advances in general. Tyrant and depleted gants assault and murder the Dreadknight. Flyrant gets behind the Coteaz Chimera and blows it up sadly. If Id glanced it to death he'd have been forced to disembark next to me, as it is he's on the other end of the wreck. I roll horribly low on charge there and fail. And Im gliding, as Id been ready for assault... yikes...

Turn 4 GK: He advances an Inf Squad and the PCS survivor down the bottom around the building. Other squad goes up top onto the objective, right by the Walking tyrant. After shooting the big gant blob is dead on my left, and then he focuses on the Tyrant. The 3 plasma henchmen jump out of their ride to double tap. Amazingly, 6 plasma shots kills two of their own and doesnt hurt me. The CCS singletaps out of their rhino and lose a member, down to 2 Plasmaguns. The Flyrant and last Hive Guard on left are blasted apart, for the record. He then tries to Vindicare snipe my Walking Tyrant (2wounds left) but I Look out sir the shot to the Tyrant guard, who makes his FNP from the nice little Tervigon nearby! He finishes shooting with that, not very happy about how poorly he rolled.

Turn 4 Nids: Tyrant goes Toughness 9. For the lulz! He charges an Inf Squad and rapes them. Biovores kill a few dudes in the IFS to the bottom left. Hive Guard kill the Chimera. on the top center. Tervigon is hugging that wall out of LoS still. Zoeys make their way down towards the bottom center objective, and the three gants there.

Turn 5 GK: His 5 man Strike squad is looping around the wall and blasts at the 20 gants there. He downs my last Tervigon on the left. My Walking Tyrant, who was in Cover, takes no harm except losing the Tyrant Guard attached. a few scattered HWTs go for his objective, as he is now perilously close to running out of troops there.

Turn 5 Nids: I spawn gants (no doubles) on the top center. They and the Hive Guard blast the 5 man Psycannon squad, who is near that objective (which gants now contest...) He loses 4 of 5. On the left, the last gants pass Instinctive Behavior, but run to the area terrain anyways! Theyre less than 5" from the objective. a 1 on both the move through cover and run still would get them in range. Zoeys run, getting them Synapse. Walking Tyrant assaults the last Psyfleman, who is near the objective... I dont smash, and dont glance him. Im T9 again, he dosnt hurt me. Im contesting that one.

Last turn due to time:

Turn 6 GK: He fires away. The IFS on the bottom left kills two gants by the bottom objective, the last is completely out of Line of Sight. He targets the big blob on the far right objective and whipes it out. Tyrant and Dreadnaught whiff away.

Turn 6 Nids: I run the lone gant to the objective. Gants in top center kill the lone GK and take that objective. Tervi moves and runs onto the right side one, and Tyrants still contesting the left one.

Tyranid Victory: 3-0 on objectives!

That was an ugly, ugly game. First of all, my opponent did roll very poorly at times, but I think I'd have won on objectives just by a last turn contest from the Tervi behind the wall. Still, the dice backfired a few times when it hurt him most. This win puts me at 4-0 and the top ranked player currently in the Con,  out of three undefeated. The last two left are a Daemons and an IG list. Still feel very good about the win, he's been my nemesis in 6th so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment