Competitive 40k tactics and Battle Reports with the Tyranid Codex

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

BeakyCon Game 2: The Scythewing!

BeakyCon Game 1: IG/CD
*Disclaimer on Batreps! I played 6 games this weekend. It's entirely possible I forgot some details, but I'll do what I can to make it as accurate as possible. I may confuse if I blew up a chimera on turn 2 or 3, etc. If you were my opponent in any of these reports, please speak up and correct any errors I made. Also, opponents will be identified by first name only. If anyone would like even that removed, just let me know and it'll disappear.*

After a solid vitory round one, I knew I'd end up against an opponent who had done equally well... little did I know what I had in store! Round 2 I recieve a folder with my opponents list. I start counting out loud, and someone walks up behind me. "Nine..."

Game 2: Kurt: Necrons. He meant 9 scythes, which was in fact what I was counting...

Imotekh
Cryptek (harbinger of eternity, with a Chronometron)
10 Warriors in a scythe
9 warriors in a scythe
6 warriors in a scythe
5 warriors ina scythe
5 warriors in a scythe
10 immortals (gauss) in a scythe
Doom Scythe
Doom Scythe
Doom Scythe

The Mission: 3 objectives. One center, the others are 18" from the short edge and 6" from the long, so together they form a nice line diagonal across the board, which is Hammer and Anvil.

Warlord traits: He gets re roll reserves... great. Just great. I get the -1 reserves, which will help a bit at least.

Psychic Powers:
 Flyrant: Life Leech, Warp Speed
Tyrant: Life Leech, Hemorrhage
Zoey 1: Telekine Dome, Gate of Infinity
Zoey 2: Telekine Dome, Crush
Tervigon 1: Endurance, Iron Arm, Life Leech
Tervigon 2: Iron Arm, Endurance Smite
Tervigon 3: Iron Arm, Life Leech, Warp Speed.

The board: Less crowded than last round, but a few ruins. One in my DZ, some nice area terrain in the middle and another ruin to the right of that. Some area terrain in his DZ, that doesnt effect too much in the game.

First turn: Him.

Deployment: Necrons: Imotekh and Ctyptek and 10 Immortals are in one ruin way back, 5 Warriors in another, opposite side.

Deployment Nids: Blob one of gants on the left, second on right. Two Tervigons, one on each side, third is far back in a ruin by the objective for a late game poop. Lots of gants in the middle to take the objective early. Both Tyrant nearby. Hive Guard in center, Zoeys on right, Biovores on left. 10 gants in reserve.

Pregame: Oh boy. My game plan for flyers going into today was for someone else to take them out of the running... that didn't work. I have one thing alone going for me this game... It's objectives. Kill Points is a tie breaker, so I MUST take two to win. Basically, sieze the middle and hold the rear... Iron Arm on Tervigons will help immensely here.

Turn one Crons: No movement. Imotekh is highly unaffective, I might lose a gant?

Turn one Bugs: He's coming in hot next turn! Time to brace for impact. Iron Arm on all three Tervigons yields some poor results... all three fail. My two front ones take a wound each because I rolled 4 straight 6s... Telekine Dome goes onto some gants. My Flyant goes 24" into a building, Biovores kill an Immortal.

Turn 2 Crons: 2 DoomScythes an 3 Night Scythes come in off his board edge... both Dooms hit my right flank. 3 Night Scythes come in center. Then the rolling starts. I lose a few scattered wounds, as I'm completely in area terrain or have Invulnerable saves. One Doom Scythe clips a Domed gant, I bounce the shot back and strip off a Tesla Destructor from the other Doom Scythe. I lose a Hive Guard on my right, and two wounds on the Flyrant. Maybe another wound on a Tervi.

Turn 2 Nids: Flyrant goes to glide and lands right in fron of the Immortals. Otherwise, I castle Objectives and open fire. No damage of course... Between the two Hive Guard broods and the DakkaTyrant I hit a lot and roll 4 straight 1s to penetrate. Flyrant tries to assault the Immortals, but rolls a three... he even takes a wound on overwatch, just to make me mad.

Turn 3 Crons: The Air force shifts. Three Scythesicluding the Doom come in. All flyers scatter of their straight vectors, blasting away. With Iron Arm on I take less damage, the Tyrant shrugs off wounds like a boss. Rapid fire Immortals and two Scythes line up my Flyrant and gun him down despite some valiant attempts to save. Another Hive Guard goes down and a few gants get Tesla wounds bounced on.

Turn 3 Nids: Everything goes psychic, my leftmost Tervi breaks off to head after his objective with Immortals. The DakkaTyrant downs one (empty) Night Scythe. Hive Guard do squat. Gants come in from reserve onto my objective.

Turn 4 Necrons: Rinse and Repeat, he's dancing around me blasting away. I lose the Zoanthrope Squad and some gants, plus a few random wounds. His last Scythe in reserve flies in and grabs the Immortals. He flies a few off he board. I take wounds on Tervigons.

Turn 4 Nids: My Tervi on left rolls a two for terrain and decides not to leave. My Firepower locks the Velocity on a Night Scythe and takes a HP on another.

Turn 5 Crons: He dumps ten warriors on his objective, and 5 man squad is working its way over. Night Scythes hit and wound my left Tervigon. My Tyrant made three cover saves from the Doom Scythes. Tesla bounces a few gants.. He then dumps 6 warriors in front of my back objective.

Turn 5 Nids: My Tervigon on left moves up towards his Warriors. Rest of my army huddles en masse in the center. I spawn gants back in my DZ, who shoot down a few and fail to charge. Then, my Tervi rolls Snake eyes on her distance...

Turn 6 Necrons: My left Tervi is blasted away, as are my back objective gants. His Immortals are dropped near my objective but not in combat range, they just rapid fire and kill a bunch.

Here you can see I have a lot of models in center and a Tervi in gants right in front of the objective (out of shot) This is during his shooting phase.

Turn 6 Nids: I spawn gants on to the rear objective, taking it, his warriors are too far to contest, if not I'd have crushed them with shooting and an assault. Still have the center with ease. Due to time, this is last turn...

Victory: Tyranids! 2 objectives to one. I scored on kill point, no bonuses.

Wow! Didn't see that coming. This reinforces what I've been saying about my army though, that pure Toughness and board control will win games. Odd as this sounds, the Necron Air Force just doesn't do enough damage. Tesla allows my saves, while spaced out MCs means he never got two Synapse models with the DeathRay on the Dooms. I had some poor luck, but held on, as 6 turns wasnt enough to kill all the scoring units I had. Also, the Necron Air force seems really unwieldy in protracted fights... With the forced moves, he could never bring all 9 scythess firepower to bear, as he was constantly spinning, pivoting, and flying off the table. This game shows exactly what I want my army to do. Hold tight and take a beating from any army while still remaining combat effective. This reduces speed, but that's unneccessary in a game like this where all I need is objectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment