Competitive 40k tactics and Battle Reports with the Tyranid Codex

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Crucible Game 1: vs. Blood Angels

*Disclaimer on Batreps! I played 6 games this weekend. It's entirely possible I forgot some details, but I'll do what I can to make it as accurate as possible. I may confuse if I blew up a chimera on turn 2 or 3, etc. If you were my opponent in any of these reports, please speak up and correct any errors I made. Also, opponents will be identified by first name only. If anyone would like even that removed, just let me know and it'll disappear.*

Also, for players who turned their list in early, they are rewarded with ONE mulligan dice. It's a special, unique, tiny and sparkly orange dice that can reroll ONE roll in the tournament. It must be specifically a roll of yours, not a "general" roll like end of game, night fight, or initiative.

The first mission:

Primary: 7- d3+2 objectives (Heavies score)
Secondary: 5- Kill Points: Troops and heavies only
Tertiary: 2-Table Quarters
Bonus: 2 each-rulebook secondary objectives

Maximum points of 20 per round, standings are done on a pure BP score, WLD has no effect.

My list:

Flyrant: 2x Devourers, Old Adversary
Flyrant: 2x Devourers, Hive Commander (Warlord)
5 Ymgarls
5 Ymgarls
Doom in a SPod
10 gants
10 gants
20 gants
Tervigon (Toxin/Adrenal, 3 powers)
Tervigon (Toxin/Adrenal, 3 powers)
Tervigon (Toxin/Adrenal, 3 powers)
2 Biovores

I woke up way, way too early Saturday morning to make the drive over, and by the time the first round started I had been up for a while. First round was random pairings. I drew against a blood angels player, whos army was solid pink! Interesting choice, but I was ready to play anyone.

Here's his list roughly:

Opponent: Juan

Librarian: Shield of Sanguinis and Blood Lance
10 assault marines in Land Raider
10 Death Company, one Hammer in Land Raider
10 Tac Marines, flamer/missile
2 Sanguinary Preists
Stormraven
Stormraven
Aegis line with Quad gun

Psychic Powers:
Flyrant 1: Iron Arm, Endurance
Flyrant 2: Life Leech, Warp Speed
Tervigon 1: Iron Arm, Enfeeble, Warp Speed
Tervigon 2: Endurance, Life Leech, Warp Speed
Tervigon 3: Enfeeble, Endurance, Warp Speed
Doom: Puppet Master

Warlords: -1 to his reserves, his was useless.

Pregame thoughts: I can take objectives through board control, but he has some tough units here. Raiders and Ravens espcially will be annoying! I'll just have to kill everything else and hold enough objectives to win it.

He has first turn, which I'm fine with.

Deployment BA: 10 marines and 10 Death company in the two raiders, he combat squads the Tac Squad, the missile is in a ruin and the others with priest behind an Aegis. The other priest is with the missile team. His assault squad falls to the red thirst.

Deployment Nids: My basic setup, The Tervigon on Left, Center, and Right with gants in the middle. Flyrants behind gants. Ymgarls and Doom are in reserves, Biovores are way back in a ruin.

Turn 1 BA: He advances a little. Plinks away, Gets two wounds on the center Tervigon. Honestly has very little effect. His priest leaves quadgun, gets in raider.

Turn 1 Nids: I advance and spawn with all three Tervigons. No doubles. Both Flyrants advance, and so do my Biovores who are awkwardly out of range. Below is a picture from the end of my turn. For reference, the objectives are the red points below. Of the two that can't be seen, one is behind a Flyrants wing from this POV, and one is to the right of the tall rocks in front of my far right Tervigon. My shooting from Flyrants kills 3 of the 5 marines on the quadgun, and they pass morale. Dang Feel no Pain...

 
Turn 2 BA: He fails both reserve rolls, so he just moves around a bit with Raiders. A couple shots at Tervigons nets a wound or two, and then he shoots the quadgun at my far left (see above pic) Flyrant. 3 wounds nets two failed saves, and a failed grounding check for a wound. Then, he shoots the krak missile and kills it, despite the cover he's in. Of course, I failed all 4 Feel no Pain rolls for those wounds... My opponent gets First Blood and Warlord.
 
 
Turn 2 Nids: Revenge! I'm pissed off about that, and also really nervous now. I'm in a small hole, and after reading jy2s first round Batrep from the BAO, I'm wary of the first round trip... I'm itching to smash my opponents army though now. The Doom and 5 Ymgarls come in. Ymgarls jump after the quad gunner squad and murder them. Flyrant leaves the board. Two Tervigons spawn, no doubles, all advance. Doom hits by the Tac squad in the ruin, and kills one.

 
 
Blood Angels turn 3: Both Ravens come in! They shoot my far right and left Tervigons, I lose one or two. 

10 Assault Marines disembark after the Raider immobolizes itself, Librarian with them, she bloodlances and kills two Ymgarls. Pistols get another, they charge and kill them but lose a couple. The Death Company advances and shoots then charges a 10 gant squad, murdering them...

 
Turn 3 Nids: I'm going to prove to my opponent that disembarking his DC was a big mistake... Flyrant comes on, and I spawn two units again. One lines up the DC, theo ther the 10 man assault squad.
 
You are surrounded... surrender and die! I shoot and assault after an enfeeble, and murder the squad. 

 
After shooting, the last few make a desperate honorable stand... Purple Haze!
 
The Ymgarls and gants together slam the Assault squad, I kill most not all. 

 
Turn 4 BA: Stormravens try to shoot down a Tervigon but I live, Missile kills a few gants. One small squad dies. In CC I kill almost all of his Marines. Lascannon off a raider nails the Doom.
 
Turn 4 Nids: I Advance the Flyrant, kill all the Tacs except the priest in the ruin, and in CC whipe out the Marines/Librarian, and get Warlord. I spawn a little to make sure I have plenty of objectives. A Tervigon assaults and kills the non immobilzed raider.  
 
 
Turn 5 BA: The Ravens try to get to objectives, he has no troops. He gets raven on two, but one is contested. Shooting kills a small gant unit.
 
Turn 5 Nids: My Flyrant kills the priest, gants and everything else claim 4 objectives. 2 are contested however by the scoring Ravens.
 
He has three models left, all vehicles. One immoblized Raider I could kill easily and two Flyers. Due to time we call the game.
 
 
I have Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, Warlord and Linebreaker, vs. Warlord and First Blood.
 
18-4 CRUSHING VICTORY



1 comment:

  1. Looks like an easy start for tyranids... light breakfast:)

    ReplyDelete