Competitive 40k tactics and Battle Reports with the Tyranid Codex

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Crucible 2013: vs. Imperial Guard

At this point I'm 2-1, heading into game 4 of a very long first day for Crucible 2013. Yes, that's 4 games in one day... let's just say we're all ready to go home! I have to take this game seriously though to get back in the mix of things. Again, only Battle Points are considered, so I'm actually not too far back in the grand scheme. However, this is Kill Points... suffice to say, not my favorite mission!

*Disclaimer on Batreps! I played 6 games this weekend. It's entirely possible I forgot some details, but I'll do what I can to make it as accurate as possible. I may confuse if I blew up a chimera on turn 2 or 3, etc. If you were my opponent in any of these reports, please speak up and correct any errors I made. Also, opponents will be identified by first name only. If anyone would like even that removed, just let me know and it'll disappear.*

Also, for players who turned their list in early, they are rewarded with ONE mulligan dice. It's a special, unique, tiny and sparkly orange dice that can reroll ONE roll in the tournament. It must be specifically a roll of yours, not a "general" roll like end of game, night fight, or initiative. My Mulligan has been used.

The first mission:

Primary: 7- Kill Points
Secondary: 5- One central objective, one point per Player turn you control it.
Tertiary: 2- Emperors Will
Bonus: 2- each-rulebook secondary objectives

Maximum points of 20 per round, standings are done on a pure BP score, WLD has no effect.

My list:

Flyrant: 2x Devourers, Old Adversary
Flyrant: 2x Devourers, Hive Commander (Warlord)
5 Ymgarls
5 Ymgarls
Doom in a SPod
10 gants
10 gants
20 gants
Tervigon (Toxin/Adrenal, 3 powers)
Tervigon (Toxin/Adrenal, 3 powers)
Tervigon (Toxin/Adrenal, 3 powers)
2 Biovores



My Opponent: Zach

I am actually fairly unsure of his list... I don't have a copy but remember most of it.

Command Squad (P or C?) Melta guns
Command Squad (P or C?) Plasma Guns
Command Squad (P or C?) Plasma Guns
Infantry Platoon Squad with Lascannon + Chimera
Infantry Platoon Squad with Lascannon + Chimera
Infantry Platoon Squad with Lascannon + Chimera
Infantry Platoon Squad with Lascannon + Chimera
Special Weapons Team with Meltas + Chimera
Leman Russ
Leman Russ
Hellhound
Basalisk
Vendetta
Vendetta
Aegis Line with Icarus Lascannon

Psychic Powers:

Flyrant 1: Life Leech, Warp Speed
Flyrant 2: Endurance, Life Leech
Tervigon 1: Iron Arm, Warp Speed, Life Leech
Tervigon 2: Endurance, Warp Speed, Life Leech
Tervigon 3: Iron Arm, Enfeeble, Endurance
The Doom: Puppet Master

Initiative: Tyranids

Deployment: See below. Warlord Traits were useless. I have the Doom, Ymgarls, and 10 outflanking gants in reserve. 10 more gants in normal reserve.
 
 
Guard Deplyment: He puts two 20 man blobs behind the Aegis, as well as His Hellhound and Basalisk. Russes are in area terrain, and so are two Chimeras. You can see it pretty well in my turn one picture. Two more Chimeras are ahead of the main force.
 
Turn 1 Nids: I fly both Flyrants up, both with FnP. I'm basically daring my opponent to kill them, I don't think he can! Shooting explodes one Chimera. First Blood. I put my OA flyrant out front as an "easy target" if the HiveCommander survives he's in for some pain turn 2...
 
Tyranids: 1     IG: 0
 

 
 
Turn 2 IG: My little gamble pays off! Every non-blast weapon he has targets the Flyrants. I pass all grounding checks and only end up with one wound! His frustrated Templates let loose at a Tervigon in cover and dal two wounds, and fry a gant.
 
Tyranids: 1     IG: 0
 
Turn 2 Nids: Choo-choo! Here comes the Pain Train! This is the exact situation my army is designed for. When my opponent makes a gunline, and I get all my reserves in at once, its gonna hurt! Flyrant on the left Vector Strikes two survivors away, then shoots and blws up a Chimera. 6 men survive to pile out, and the Biovores kill them. The Doom comes in and kills several Guardsmen from two blobs. Then, he Puppet Masters the Hellhound, and kills 8 more Guardsmen! The other Flyrant Blasts a Chimera in theside as he flies over the Battle line, blowing it up. Ymgarl squads assault one ravaged blob squad and sweep them for no losses. The other 5 hit and wreck the Hellhound.
 
Tyranids: 7       IG: 0
 
 
 
Shockingly, my Opponent forfeits the game right there! I don't disagree that he'd taken an early hammering, but I was actually a bit disappointed. For a 2 hour and 15 minute round, I had won in 20 minutes... I think my opponent should have at least brought his Vendettas in for a go, if he'd pulled back his blob, then tried to Zap the Flyrant or at least grounf him, the three Large Blasts and Plasma squads nearby could have put down a hurting! Still, I wasn't going to argue a full victory...
 
 
CRUSHING VICTORY 20-0
 
Now that's how to get back into a tournament! This was the end of day 4 so I went home early for dinner and a snooze without waiting to see how things went for the other rounds. However, I knew that I had 58 points on the round. What I didn't know was that this was enough to catapult me into SECOND PLACE OVERALL! Wow! After an early massacre I wasn't expecting to be back into things until maybe round 6! Of course, with this good news comes some bad. The player who was ahead of me had 60 points, and he just happened to be playing Eldar and Dark Eldar... The next BatRep will be highly dramatic, so stay tuned! 


No comments:

Post a Comment