Competitive 40k tactics and Battle Reports with the Tyranid Codex

Monday, March 18, 2013

Crucible 2013: vs. Necrons

*Disclaimer on Batreps! I played 6 games this weekend. It's entirely possible I forgot some details, but I'll do what I can to make it as accurate as possible. I may confuse if I blew up a chimera on turn 2 or 3, etc. If you were my opponent in any of these reports, please speak up and correct any errors I made. Also, opponents will be identified by first name only. If anyone would like even that removed, just let me know and it'll disappear.*

Also, for players who turned their list in early, they are rewarded with ONE mulligan dice. It's a special, unique, tiny and sparkly orange dice that can reroll ONE roll in the tournament. It must be specifically a roll of yours, not a "general" roll like end of game, night fight, or initiative. My Mulligan has been used.

At this point, I am in a tie for fourth. Here's the field:
1. 71 Eldar/Deldar
2. 68 Necrons (the player from round 6 BeakyCon)
3. 63: IG
4/5. Me (62)/the Tau/SW player (62)
6. 61: Necrons
So, I can break the top three with a solid victory I hope!


The sixth mission:

Primary: 7-  3 objectives, all in no mans land. One in dead center, two more 12" left and right. Every unit within 3" of an objective adds one Master Level to an IC if he's there, a sergeant if not, and generates one random power.
Secondary: 5- Kill Points (Psychers only)
Tertiary: 2- Emperors Will
Bonus: 2 each- rulebook secondary objectives

Maximum points of 20 per round, standings are done on a pure BP score, WLD has no effect.

My list:

Flyrant: 2x Devourers, Old Adversary
Flyrant: 2x Devourers, Hive Commander (Warlord)
5 Ymgarls
5 Ymgarls
Doom in a SPod
10 gants
10 gants
20 gants
Tervigon (Toxin/Adrenal, 3 powers)
Tervigon (Toxin/Adrenal, 3 powers)
Tervigon (Toxin/Adrenal, 3 powers)
2 Biovores





My Opponent: Teddy

Imotekh the Stormlord
Cryptek with one reroll (Chronometron?)
5 Warriors in Night Scythe
5 Warriors in Night Scythe
5 Warriors in Night Scythe
5 Warriors in Night Scythe
6 Wraiths, 3 whips
6 Wraiths, 3 Whips
3 Tomb Spyders
3 Tomb Spyders
10 Scarabs


Psychic Powers:

Flyrant 1: Enfeeble, Life Leech
Flyrant 2: Life Leech, Endurance
Tervigon 1: Enfeeble, Endurance, Warp Speed
Tervigon 2: Enfeeble, Endurance, Warp Speed
Tervigon 3: Enfeeble, Endurance, Warp Speed
The Doom: Cataclysm

Warlord Traits: Useless

Night Fight turn 1
Deployment: Dawn of War

Initiative: Necrons

Pre Game Thoughts: Teddy is the winner of BeakyCon, and plays in GTs throughout the USA. On the one hand, this is a good match up for me, on the other hand I know that he is an excelllent player. However, when it comes down to it, my Psychic Powers are very strong even with no Iron Arm. I can use them to establish a solid ground control, and then claim the Primary objective. However, the Secondary objective is absolutely infuriating. I start out with 5 psykers, he has 0, so this'll be tough to win... My Emperors Will objective is center of my deployment, in the ruin. His is the far back right of his DZ.


Deployment: Necrons: He stacks the field to my left. Both Wraith Squads in the open, and both Spyder squads behind a ruin to the left. 10 Scarabs in the Ruin. Everything else, in reserve of course.

Deployment Nids: Tervigons each start of far forward, 12" away one each from the objectives. Flyrants on my left, Biovores in a ruin. Ymgarls/Doom in reserve, I also put all my gants on the left side, if slightly far back.

Turn 1 Necrons: He advances everything, including a bolstered Scarab squad, who are still in cover. Lightning results in no damage.

Turn 1 Nids: I enfeeble the leftmost Wraith squad, it gets denyed. The second goes through however! I zoom up both Flyrants (both have FNP) and unload on the Enfeebled Wraiths. Math hammer goes perfect. 24 shots, 18 hits, with preferred enemyI get 18 wounds. He fails 6 saves, and the unit is whiped due to Instand Death. I also get First Blood.

Turn 2 Necrons: Three Scythes come in and Line up a Flyrant (Warlord) He takes three wounds and is grounded. The Scarabs, now at 22 strong, burst out of cover and hit a 10 man gant squad I had strung out as a screen. They die horribly. The surviving Wraith Squad hits the grounded Flyrant and kill him.

Turn 2 Nids: My surviving Flyrant vector strikes a scythe, blowing it up as he leaves the field. I cast three successful Enfeebles. The Wraiths go to Toughness 2, as well as the Scarabs. BothYmgarl squads come in. Ymgarls jump out and hit one of the squads of Tomb Spyders, causing two wounds.  The other come out of a crater behind the Wraiths (one is killed by the falling Night Scythe). Both Tervigons nearby spawn gants, and the twenty man unit runs up towards the 22 Scarabs. Biovores and three squads, plus two Tervigons Cluster Spines, whipe out the unit completely. A third squad of gants opens fire into the T2 wraiths, then assault. Ymgarls also assault that unit. When it's all over, he has one Wraith left tying me up.

Turn 3 Cronz: His two flyers advance, the third flies max distance, all zero in on a single Tervigon. He causes three wounds total. In CC, his Spyders jump into the Spyder/Ymgarl combat and kill all my Stealers. Lightning ends for Imhotek. His disembarked warriors fail their Reserve roll. In assault I finish his wraith off.

Turn 3 Nids: I land the Doom on his objective, who jumps out and moves towards the board edge. My Flyrant comes on and blows Imhoteks ride out of the sky. (to the right of the two surviving Scythes below) My Ymgarls hide in area terrain, gants spread out, Tervigons endurance themselves.

 
 
Turn 4 Necrons: Both warrior squads come in and rapid fire the Doom, he's down to one wound. Flyers fly off the board. Spyders come close to the Tervigons.
 
Turn 4 Nids: Doom takes 4 wounds off the warriors, Flyrant advances and whipes the non Imhotek warrior unit. I spawn gants out of Tervigon, she's out, and assault 3 spyders. It's mostly a draw, I lose a few for one wound. Doom assaults Imhoteks squad and loses 3 wounds to overwatch! Youch! Imhotek challenges and knocks him down to one wound.
 
Turn 5 Crons: Both Scythes come in and finish off the last Flyrant. Other 3 spyders charge a Tervigon. Both combats are un interesting. Imhotek whiffs.
 
Turn 5 Nids: I hold objectives with my other two Tervigons. All nearby gants jump into the two Spyder units, do no damage but tie them up.
 
Turn 6 Necrons: He drops warriors on an objective and tries to kill a Tervigon with shooting, it fails. He does kill the Doom in CC. (He's been making every single 3d6 check...)
 
Turn 6 Nids: I kill the Warriors on the objective, the two CCs grind on.
 
END GAME:
 
Primary: Tyranids, 2 objectives to 0
Secondary: Necrons 3-2 (Flyrants and Doom to a Wraith and warrior Psyker)
Tertiary: Nids 1-0 (the Spod contests his)
 
I have First Blood/Linebreaker, he has Warlord and Linebreaker
 
Victory 13-9
 
That was a tough game, but I did enough early damage that I had dominant Board control. Sadly, I never really could get him to get near enough to the objectives where I could kill some Psykers. Still, I'm happy considering the quality of my opponent. Up next will be a tournament redux, including final rankings, winners and all! Stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment