Competitive 40k tactics and Battle Reports with the Tyranid Codex

Thursday, August 15, 2013

RTT 08/03 2250 Nids vs. Tau Quad-tide


Last weekend, I went to a mid-sized RTT at my Local gaming store. The event was 2250 points, FW allowed, and double FOC. There are a couple of pics, but its all from a video overview that the TO put together of the event, so they're pretty sporadic and there aren't many. Here's my list for the event:

Flyrant, Devourers,
Flyrant, Devourers, HC
Flyrant, Devourers
Tervigon, Tox/Adrenal, 3 powers (Warlord)
Tervigon, Tox/Adrenal, 3 powers
Tervigon, Tox/Adrenal, 3 powers
10 gants
10 gants
5 Ymgarls
5 Ymgarls
3 Zoeys in a Pod
Doom in a Pod
3 Biovores

Round 1 I faced a SW/DA list and come away with a solid victory, not too many issues. After that, I got my first taste of TauDar and come away with a Tabling. I'm currently leading in Battle Points, but there's one last undefeated player to go through...

Command suit: Drone Controller, SMS, Fusion gun, Iridium armor
Ethereal
12 Fire Warriors
12 Fire Warriors
15 Sniper Kroot
15 Sniper Kroot
3 Broadsides (2 Rail, 1 HYMP)
5 Pathfinders
Riptide, Ion Accelerator, Interceptor, FNP
Riptide, Ion Accelerator, Interceptor, FNP
Riptide, Ion Accelerator, Interceptor, FNP
Riptide, Ion Accelerator, Burst Cannon, Inerceptor, FNP
Hammerhead, Longstrike
10-12 (Max-sized) unit of Marker Drones
Aegis Line, Quad gun


The Mission: A unique mission, it works as following:

Primary: Whoever has the most Battle Points wins
1. The Relic (4 points)
2. One Battle point per Kill Point
Bonus points: Linebreaker, Warlord

My Psychic Powers:

Flyrant 1: Enfeeble, Smite
Flyrant 2: Iron Arm, Endurance
Flyrant 3: Iron Arm, Life Leech
Tervigon 1 (Warlord): ILife Leech, Endurance, Warp Speed
Tervigon 2: Endurance, Warp Speed, Smite
Tervigon 3: Enfeeble, Iron Arm, Life Leech
Zoanthrope 1: Psychic Shriek, Puppet Master
Zoanthrope 2: Psychic Shriek, Mental Fortitude
Zoanthrope 3: Psychic Shriek, Terrify
Doom: Psychic Shriek

Vanguard Strike:

The board: (Assuming my DZ is to bottom left) Large Chaos temple dead center. Small amounts of are terrain scattered to the bottom left and top center, very small ruin top right, hill to bottom right. This board was easily the lightest on terrain at the store.

Night fight is off, and my opponent has turn 1. This'll be a nasty turn 1!

Deployment Tau: His Aegis Line is in his far back corner... doesn't look like he's even going to go after the Relic. One Kroot squad is in the center of the board but flat against his edge, with Firewarriors next to them. Hammerhead is farther to the right of that. His other Kroot are below the Tank, then his Broadsides, then the other Fire Warriors with Ethereal on the quadgun. 4 Riptides loom behind that. The only forward unit is his Marker Drones with Commander, and the Pathfinders scout up next to them.

Deployment Tyranids: One Tervigon is forward, this is basically a sacrifice. The other two are behind, but all are in area terrain. Three Flyrants conga lines in my zone so they'll all have cover, I'm hoping to be out of Marker range with them turn 1.

Pre-Game thoughts: Wow, this'll be tough. I sadly have no LoS blocking terrain on the table, at all... my Biovores will be lucky to get one shot off! But, I have to do the same as last game. Try to synchronize my reserves so that I the Flyrants hit same time, and with any luck get enough Kill Points to keep things close. He will win that, but I think I can hold onto the Relic, especially having the second turn. Easily my toughest game in a while though!

Turn 1 Tau: His marker lights advance within 36" of my front Tervigon. Lots of shooting later, I lose 5 wounds on a Tervigon, and one on a flyrant, and two Biovores.

Turn 1 Tyranids: Everything runs up, and 3 Flyrants kill every single marker drone, and wipe out the Pathfinders. Below two pics show my Moving, before shooting.



Turn 2 Tau: He starts off by shooting his quad gun at my Tyrant with three wounds left. He does three wounds, and I promptly roll 3 1s to save... ugh. He spends the rest of the turn focusing on my other Flyrant and finally grounds and kills him. He also kills my last Biovore. 

Turn 2 Nids: 10 Ymgarls come in, and hit a Fire warrior and Kroot squad. I win combat and sweep both, one is killed. The Doom lands in his back, and is close enough to avoid Large blasts. ALL FOUR Riptides intercept him, and he somehow survives with one wound left! My opponent then makes 3 3d6 leadership tests... The zoanthropes land in front of his Broadsides, and after Psychic Shriek, he makes two more 3d6 checks. Damn!

On the other hand, I spawn 13 gants who grab the Relic and assault his commander. I wound him once, and we're locked. My last Flyrant flies straight towards the Board edge, stopping just short so I can blast his last Kroot squad. I kill 5, but he passes Morale sadly. 

Turn 3 Tau: He moves a bit, and passes two more 3d6 Ld. checks for the Doom, before gunning him down with Fire Warriors. Other shooting kills 5 Ymgarls, and my last Tyrant. Two Zoeys are also killed. 

Turn 3 Nids: Zoanthrope again fails to do anything useful after another made Leadership check. My 4 last Ymgarls assault his hammerhead, only to be killed by that Tau overwatch. Freaking Broadside Missiles... My Tervigons are advancing, and I stay in combat wounding his commander once again after a second squad charges in. 

Turn 4 Tau: He advances his Burst Cannon Riptide, and finishes off the Zoeys and one squad of gants.CC rages on with little effect.



Turn 4 Nids: I do next to nothing here, just scattered potshots that accomplish nil. 


Turn 5 Tau: His Burst Cannon Riptide (3 wounds left) advances to contest the Relic. He then shoots down my 1-wound Tervigon. This actually takes my Relic gants out of Synapse, and they fall back!!!! Pure, pure stupidity on my part... 

Turn 5 Tyranids: I grab the Relic, and tell him the games over...

Final Result? 

This got REALLY complicated calculating this... First, what we agreed on: He had 9 Kill Points, I had 4. However, I thought the Relic was worth 6 points, so I thought I'd won. Upon further review, the mission sheet said 4. No idea where I got that from... This basically would have changed everything if I'd read the rules just a bit better. I could have assaulted his 3 wound Riptide with 5 units: A T8, 5 wound Tervigon, 2 4 man gant squads, a 9 man gant squad (wit Relic) and a 6 man gant squad  I had spawned that turn. It is pretty likely that I could have done 3 wounds to the Riptide due to Poison (his save was a 5++ at the moment). If not, I likely would have won combat and at least swept him/forced him to fall back. 

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! I had linebreaker with a Spore, so the final score was actually 9-9, but by the mission rules, secondaries are applied after determining the Primary winner. If we had tied on primary, I would have won the Tiebreaker that way however. Therefore, Tau escape with a 9-9 victory? 

Narrow Tau Victory, 9-9


No comments:

Post a Comment