Competitive 40k tactics and Battle Reports with the Tyranid Codex

Sunday, August 11, 2013

RTT 08/03 2250 Nids vs DA/SW


Last weekend, I went to a mid-sized RTT at my Local gaming store. The event was 2250 points, FW allowed, and double FOC. There are a couple of pics, but its all from a video overview that the TO put together of the event, so they're pretty sporadic and there aren't many. Here's my list for the event:

Flyrant, Devourers,
Flyrant, Devourers, HC
Flyrant, Devourers
Tervigon, Tox/Adrenal, 3 powers (Warlord)
Tervigon, Tox/Adrenal, 3 powers
Tervigon, Tox/Adrenal, 3 powers
10 gants
10 gants
5 Ymgarls
5 Ymgarls
3 Zoeys in a Pod
Doom in a Pod
3 Biovores

Round 1 was random pairings, and I ended up against an alliance of Space Wolves and Dark Angels. Here's the list:

Libby (Warlord)
Command Squad on foot with Bolter-Banner
Tac squad, melta Missile
Tac squad, Melta Missile
Tac squad, Melta Missile -Drop Pod
6 Black Knights (2 Grenade Launchers)
5 Devestators, 4 Lascannons
5 Scouts, Sniper Rifles
Whirlwind
Whirlwind
Aegis Defense Line

Rune Priest (Jaws, Living Lightning)
Rune Priest (Jaws, Hurricane)
8 Grey Hunters, Meltagun -Drop Pod
5 Terminators (2x THSS, Fist/CML, Chainfist, Axe/Combi-Plas) - Drop Pod

The Mission: A unique mission, it works as following:

Primary: Two equally weighted missions: 6 points each
1. Have the most scoring units in the enemy DZ
2. Have the most Kill Points
Bonus points: Warlord, "Last Blood" (like First Blood, except its the last)

My Psychic Powers:

Flyrant 1: Enfeeble, Life Leech
Flyrant 2: Endurance, Iron Arm
Flyrant 3: Endurance, Enfeeble
Tervigon 1 (Warlord): Warp Speed, Endurance, Life Leech
Tervigon 2: Iron Arm, Earp Speed, Endurance
Tervigon 3: Smite, Warp Speed, Iron Arm
Zoanthrope 1: Psychic Shriek, Dominate
Zoanthrope 2: Psychic Shriek, Terrify
Zoanthrope 3: Psychic Shriek, Puppet Master
Doom: Psychic Shriek

The board: His Aegis is on my top right, theres Hills to the bottom left and right, a ruin in the center of the board. Some scattered walls to far top right.

Night fight is on, and he has turn 1.

Deployment marines: His Whirlwinds are in the far corners, two tac squads and command squad with Libby behind Aegis, and Devs with RP and scouts are to the left on a hill. One RP will DS in with the GH squads.

Deployment Nids: Warlord Tervigon on my left, Troop in floor two of a small ruin to my right (avoiding Jaws). Three Flyrants are in my center and left providing max SitW coverage to protect my Warlord, and 10 gants are on my left and right. My other troops Tervi will outflank due to the mission, and Biovores are to the right behind a hill.

First turn Marines: The Termis and GH pod in. Termis land right in front of my Warlord Tervigon, GH on my far right next to the troop Tervigon. Due to my positioning, he had to be within 12" of a SitW to be in Jaws range of the Tervigon. Lascannons miss due to Night Fight, but his advancing Ravenwing deal three wounds to one Flyrant! I love rolling triple 1s on saves... ugh. The Combi plasma from the Termis takes the last wound off of him. Jaws on the right fails to go off.

Turn 1 Nids: Both Tervigons spawn. Warlord on the left and 9 gants (he's done) assault the Terminators, killing two and taking a few wounds. On the right I take no wounds, and kill the Priest in a challenge. A few gants/Hunters go down. The two Flyrants get Airborne and kill 5 of the 6 black knights.

Turn 2 Marines: Fire is relatively ineffective. One tyrant takes a wound or two and a Biovore dies. In CC, I kill a Termie and take a wound, on the other side of the board a few GH and gants go down.

Turn 2 Nids: Most reserves come in, not the Doom and 5 Yealers. Interceptor Lascannon kills the spore Pod, as I lined the Zoeys up out of LoS behind it. I converge around his back lines, and gun down a couple Marines. He is lucky with denying the witch and my Zoeys do 0 wounds though. Tervigon is also on the right side. The Banner also survives every Precision shot I put on it. On the left, 5 Ymgarls and a Flyrant assault the 5 Devs/Rune Priest. I point out that they can't join, so I do it separately and end up wiping out both units.



Turn 3 Marines: He focuses fire on the Flyrant that grounded itself. Even with Iron Arm, he's down to one wound. Bolter fire from the banners kills two Zoanthropes. In CC, my Warlord Tervigon is killed, but as she dies kills both of the last two Terminators. His Drop Pod full of Tacs lands next to the Troop Tervigon locked in CC, but that Tervigon kills the last Hunter to break out (a few scattered gants are left as well). The Tac squad guns down a small gant squad nearby. Last biker assaulted into the poisoned gants and died, by the way. 

Turn 3 Nids: The Doom lands by his bunker of Marines, the Lascannon fails to wound the pod though. A few Psychic Shrieks kill a few guys, including the Banner bearer. The other Ymgarls jump out nearby and assault, as does the Flyrant and Tervigon. His Librarian/command squad are killed, and the two Tac squads end up locked with a TErvigon and 5 Ymgarls, respectively. The gants that Tervi had spawned swarmed the Whirlwind and killed it. On the left, 5 Ymgarls kill the sniper scouts, while the Flyrant lands and kills the Whirlwind. My Troop Tervigon assaults the tac squad in my Deployment zone.

At this point, my opponent forfeits. He has exactly three Tac squads, all of which are locked in Close Combats that they can't win. I have two scoring units in his DZ, and he has one in mine. He can't get more, but I can spawn more easily if needed. No way he will win this game, my KP lead on him is also huge.

My opponent was trying out a new army, and my list is absolutely brutal if you're not a top tier army. This game went as expected, although I was sad to lose my Warlord. Fairly easy round here, but next round I get my first taste of the new Tau...

No comments:

Post a Comment