Competitive 40k tactics and Battle Reports with the Tyranid Codex

Sunday, June 23, 2013

RTT 6/15 1850 Nids vs. Ravenwing



Ok, this is late (again) but here we are with game 2 of the RTT last weekend! This player had been on a table next to me, where I occasionally turned around in time to see him absolutely destroying a TauDar player. But, my army is quite different from TauDar, so it was my turn to welcome the new Dark Angels codex!

Here's my list:

Flyrant: Wings, Devs, OA
Flyrant: Wings, Devs, HC (Warlord Trait, reroll outflanks)
10 gants
10 gants
20 gants
Tervigon, Toxin, Adrenal, 3 powers
Tervigon, Toxin, Adrenal, 3 powers
Tervigon, Toxin, Adrenal, 3 powers
5 Ymgarls
5 Ymgarls
The DOOOOOOOM (and a SPod)
2 Biovores

Opponents list:

Sammeal on a Jetbike
Librarian with Force Axe on Bike
6 Bikes with 2 meltas
6 Bikes with 2 meltas
6 bikes with 2 flamers
Attack bike, Bolter
Attack bike, Melta
Attack bike, Melta
Landspeeder Darkshroud (?)- the one that gives cover all around it.
6 Black Knights with 4 plasma, 2 'Nade Launchers
3 man Command squad with Banner of Bolters, and one Grenade Launcher

Psychic Powers:

Librarian: Ignore cover, prsecience

Flyrant 1: Enfeeble, Endurance
Flyrant 2 (WL): Enfeeble, Endurance
Tervigon 1: Endurance, Warp Speed, Enfeeble
Tervigon 2: Endurance, Warp Speed, Enfeeble
Tervigon 3: Endurance, Smite, Life Leech
Doom of Malan'tai: Psychic Shriek

Mission: 3 objectives

Deployment: Vanguard strike

He has turn 1, it is Night fight turn 1.

The Board: Theres a large rocky hill in my bottom left, and theres another large piece of area terrain to my top right with two large rocks. Theres a lot of very small pieces scattered around, but theres two large area terrain pieces one in the middle of the board, slightly left and one far right in between my opponents edge and mine. All three objectives are far right. One in my DZ, one in his, and one roughly in between.

Deployment RW: Darkshroud and Command squad in the middle, Knights in front. On the left in one squad with Sammy, and on the right are two more bike squads. Behind the dark shroud are three attack bikes.

Deployment Nids: 20 gants conga lined in the front. Three tervigons all chilling in area terrain around an objective. Two 10 man gant broods are just sitting way in the back. Both Flyrants are WAY in the back corner, so he can't scout and shoot them.

Pre Game thoughts: Pretty basic here. Step one: Kill the banner. Doom and Biovores and precision shots until it is dead! After that, Flyrants play Havoc while gants blob up and advance in front of the tervigons. Anything that gets near takes a poisonous counter charge to the chin.

I successfully sieze the initiative!!!!!!!
One problem with that. My opponent told me to roll and forgot his scout move... If he had scouted first, he freely admitted he would have come straight at me, but if I make him do that, I will just murder him. We talk it back and forth (very friendly guy, it must be said. No one raised their voice or got mad) and we decided he would just forego his scout move, as if he scouted now it would favor one of us ridiculously.

Turn 1 Nids: A very conservative set up means I'm well out of range of anything. Seizing actually hasnt helped me at all. Both Flyrants advance 12" and are now flying, every MC has FnP.

Turn 1 DAngels: His bolter bikers advance and kill 19 gants. (I had one hidden out of LoS... no First Blood here!) A few potshots fail to wound or ground the Flyrants.

Turn 2 Nids: Hammertime! I do love my reserves sometimes. Doom drops in his back field, I have 6 (SIX!) units in range. Ymgarls also pop up one on each side of his advance. One Tervigon spews out a 13-model meatshield, no doubles. I forego Endurance and cast enfeeble a crap ton of times on the front Black Knight squad. Even with a 4+ deny from the Libby, two get through. Mua-haha! First, the Doom gets to work. He starts by zapping up ALL THREE of the attack bikes. First Blood! Then, he zaps 5 wounds of the command squad, but they have a 3+ cover save... after FnP one dies. Did I mention that the Doom hit right next to the Banner? Goodbye bolters! Doom nukes one more guy out of Sammeals squad, then Psychic Shriek kills the Apothecary of the Command squad. Flyrants both unload into the Black Knights and kill all 6, this leaves just the Libby. Ymgarls on the left hit Sammeals squad, kill three and lose two (they then Hit and Run out). On the right, Ymgarls hit a 5 man squad (Doom got one I think) and wipe them out! I got super lucky here.

Turn 2 Dark Angels: My opponent is suddenly reeling from the pain I just dumped on his army. One bike squad wheels around and shoots the Doom for a few wounds, Sammeals squad lines up the Ymgarls that had attacked them, and shoots them to paste. Command squad survivors and the Librarian both go after the other Ymgarl squad. A few die to shooting, and assault in. I finish the command squads last guy but a few get killed by the Libbys axe.

Turn 3 Nids: Time to finish this. Both Flyrants swoop and enfeeble a 6 man bike squad, I successfully gun them down. Doom gets in range of Sammeals squad and wounds Sammy once. Last Ymgarl whiffs as does the Libby. Doom assaults and explodes the Dark Shroud

Turn 3 DAngels: Sammeal lines up 7" from the Doom, shoots a few wounds off and charges. I do no wounds, he does one and Hit and Runs 17" away!

 Below shows the end of Turn 3. He is down to the Libby, two bikers and Sammeal... the Tervigons are easily holding down the base while the Flyrants are catching ravens.


Tyranids turn 4: Both Flyrants shoot the Librarian and assault, he only takes one wound. In assault he makes all saves! (Displacer field) Doom uneffectively runs after the Bikes. 

Dark Angels turn 4: Sammeal and Biker charge the Doom after shooting, I kill one. His Libby again passes every single save! I can't kill this guy... Below you can basically see every model he has on the table. 



Tyranid turn 5: He wounds the Doom, and Hit and Runs away, but not before Spirit Leech takes Sammeal down to one wound. The Tyrants finally kill the Librarian, I shuffle gants around so I'm holding all three objectives. 

Dark Angels 5: He decides to go for the Warlord kill, Sammeal and biker charge my Warlord Flyrant, who had been wounded once by the Librarian. Instead, overwatch causes two wounds, and he fails both saves! Sammeal and the last biker are both killed, which results in a tabling! 

Victory Tyranids! 12-0 Final score. 

Post game: Well that went well. Dice favored me heavily on turn 2, when I killed half his army, and really took the wind out of his sails. At this point I think my opponent realized he couldn't just charge in and scattered, but this allowed me to pick him off one unit at a time. Altogether, I'm not too impressed by the new Dark Angels, they're too dependent on the banner. 


No comments:

Post a Comment