Competitive 40k tactics and Battle Reports with the Tyranid Codex

Friday, January 4, 2013

12/15 RTT 1250 Nids vs. GK/SM

Hello all! With the conclusion of Christmas, I finally have time to get cranking on these Batreps... here's the first of three from the RTT I attended on 12/15. My list...


 


Flyrant, Devourers, OA, HC
HQ Tervigon with 3 powers, Toxin adrenal
10 gants
Troops Tervigon, 3 powers, Tox Adrenal Crushing Claws
5 Ymgarls
Doom in a Pod
2 Biovores
2 Zoanthropes

A note on my list above, it is actually 15 points over the limit... something I didn't notice, and wrote down wrong on my list, so no opponent noticed. Obviously I feel awful about this, and have already posted my mistake to the stores forum, but I will write the reports anyways. If I were to re do my list I'd drop the Crushing Claws and add a few gants. I never really needed the Claws, but it's still probable that my mistake affected my games in some way.

My Opponents List:

Coteaz
4 Henchmen, (2 meltas) plus one Jokaero
Chimera
Regular 5 man Terminator squad, bunch of Upgrades
Stormraven, uncertain upgrades
Psyfleman Dreadnaught

Librarian with Gate of Infinity and Vortex of Doom
10 man tactical squad, missile/flamer
Storm Talon with Cyclone/Assault Cannon

The Mission: The Relic
Deployment: Dawn of War
The Board: There's a pair of central large ruins, there will be one in each deployment Zone with the Relic in between. There's another pair of large-ish ruins to my left, and scattered small ruins to the right, including a crashed Aquilla above and to the right of the Relic.

Warlord traits: Useless, both.

No Night Fight

Psychic Powers:

Flyrant: Enfeeble, Life Leech
HQ Tervigon: Iron Arm, Endurance, Life Leech
Troop Tervigon: Iron Arm, Life Leech, Smite
Zoanthrope 1: Puppet Master, Life Leech
Zoanthrope 2: Puppet Master, Iron Arm
The DOOM: Psychic Shreik

Pre Game Thoughts: I love the Relic, as always, so I'll basically grab it early and wrap it in bodies, then fend off his army, killing what I can. My Opponent is a newer player, and I believe this actually isn't his army. I know for sure that someone else made him the list.

I have turn 1.

Deployment Nids: Both Tervigons are right up front, exactly 12" from the Relic, ready to birth. The Flyrant starts left, and the Zoanthropes/ Biovores are just chilling behind the Tervigons. Gants are also to the right, the Doom and Ymgarls are in reserve as always.

Deployment GK/SM: The Chimera with Coteaz and Company is opposite the Relic, Terminators in reserve in the Raven, and the Talons also in reserve. The Psyfleman is to the right of the Chimera, and the Tac squad splits up. The Missile goes to the far, far left, and the 5 man squad with Libby is up front.

He fails to sieze, until I remind him that Coteaz gets a re roll. He makes this, of course.

Turn 1 GK/SM: His Libby squad teleports towards my left, and scatters a bit too close... Rapid fire kills a few gants though. Scattered fire really doesn't do much. I think I lose one wound on a Tervigon?

Turn 1 Nids: Spawn! Both spawn in the double digits with no doubles, and the objective is seized. Psychic Powers go off. The second squad provides a bubble wrap after a good run. The Flyrant advances and gets a great shot at the Chimeras side armor, but I whiff badly and glance it once. The Troops Tervigon charges the Libbys squad, and kills quite a few of them, no wounds taken. (NOTE: This is the only time of the Tournament that the Crushing Claws are used, the wargear that I shouldn't have had. I quite frankly would have killed them anyway though, as I was rocking Iron Arm to Toughness 9.)

Turn 2 GK: The Talon comes in, and shoots the Flyrant for two wounds, aslo grounding him, which the Dread helped with.Other shooting is highly ineffective, and in assault I finish the Libbys unit. First blood for me.

Turn 2 Nids: The Flyrant blasts apart the Stormtalon, Ymgarls come in and wreck the Chimera. The Doom lands nect to the Chimera and does nothing. One Tervigon spawns again, shielding the gants as they drag the Relic back towards my lines.

Turn 3 GK: His henchmen run back, meltas slag the Doom. StormRaven comes in, the Flyrant miraculously survives with one wound left.

Turn 3 Nids: The Flyrant glances the Stormraven twice, Ymgarls try to assault the Henchmen but fail. More gants are spawned, they shoot down two henchmen.

Turn 4 GK: The Storm Raven backs up and blows the Flyrant apart. Other shooting kills three or four Ymgarls I think.

Turn 4 Nids: The Ymgarls assault coteaz's unit after gants shoot the Jokaero down. He has a 5++ invuln for Jokaero shenanigans, and I actually kill none, and he kills the last one with Coteaz I think.

The Game ends here. I have First Blood and the Relic, he has Warlord. I win, 4-1!

At this point he had some scattered henchmen, a Dread and a Tac squad, nothing within 24" of the Relic. He also had the Stormraven with Terminators, which he sadly left in their flying box. I was looking forward to them assaulting a gant buble so I could swarm them, but it ws not to be.

At this point, I am 2-0, as is one other player, who has FootDar. We will face eachother next round!

2 comments:

  1. http://www.qwitr.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/pic_156960001182301625.jpeg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, looks like an easy game:)
    I found suddenly that I never played a relic game! Wow! I have to try the "spawn gants on the relic" tactics:)

    ReplyDelete