Competitive 40k tactics and Battle Reports with the Tyranid Codex

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

BeakyCon3 Game 1 2250 vs Eldar-Tau

*Disclaimer on Batreps! I played 5 games this weekend. It's entirely possible I forgot some details, but I'll do what I can to make it as accurate as possible. I may confuse if I blew up a chimera on turn 2 or 3, etc. If you were my opponent in any of these reports, please speak up and correct any errors I made. Also, opponents will be identified by first name only. If anyone would like even that removed, just let me know and it'll disappear.*

A note on BeakyCon: Last year, we had two very unfortunate situations where one player was caught cheating (by myself and several other of his opponents) and another player had a single Loaded dice that he was using for first turn and such.For this reason, the TO decided to supply the dice at no additional charge. Every player recieved 6 custom "Beaky" dice and a GW bombardment dice cube. Any time there is a crazy roll in my games (and there were some, from both sides, that hit Lady Averages in the back of the head with a lead pipe, then killed her and left her in a ditch.) there is absolutely no way my opponent cheated. Someone else hit 10/12 overwatch shots AND killed 10 guardsmen to keep an opponent out of a 2" charge, but that was insane.

My List:

[spoiler]Flyrant, Devourers
Flyrant, Devourers, Hive Commander
Flyrant, Devourers
Tervigon, Toc/Adrenal, 3 powers (warlord)
Tervigon, Toc/Adrenal, 3 powers
Tervigon, Toc/Adrenal, 3 powers
10 gants
10 gants
Doom in SPod
3 Zoeys in SPod
5 Ymgarls
5 Ymgarls
3 Biovores[/spoiler]

My Opponents list: Eldar/Tau

[spoiler]Farseer on bike with Mantle of Laughing God
Spiritseer
10 Guardians in Wave Serpent
10 Guardians in Wave Serpent
10 Guardians in Wave Serpent
11 Guardians in Wave Serpent
5 Dark Reapers in Wave Serpent

Buffing Commander
10 Kroot
3 Rail-sides with SMS
Riptide with Ion Accelerator

Aegis Defense Line with Lascannon[/spoiler]

My Opponent: I drew first round against Eric, who I had seen at Crucible 2013 but never played. I had actually really hoped to play him here, as he drew third place, while I drew fourth at Crucible. So, I was a bit excited for this matchup, but also knew he was a good player.

The Mission:

Two Primary objectives:

Have the most scoring units in your opponents DZ (6 points)
Have more Kill Points than your opponent (6 points)

One Secondary Objective

Modified Emperors Will: Place an objective in your DZ, scatter it 3d6. Three points for siezing your opponents objective.

Tiebreaker 1: Table quarters
Tiebreaker 2: Kill more scoring units than your opponent

Bonus points: Warlord, Last Blood (like First blood, except, last.)

The board: A lot of area terrain, but only a little LoS blocking. Specifically, one tall skinny tower in the center and one small bunker bottom left.

Initiative: Eldar get first turn, there is no Night Fight.

Powers:

[spoiler]He gets fortune, and... some other stuff. Guide I believe, on the Farseer.

My powers:

Tyrant 1: Iron Arm, Life Leech
Tyrant 2: Enfeeble, Endurance
Tyrant 3: Iron Arm, Smite
Tervigon 1: Iron Arm, Enfeeble, Life Leech
Tervigon 2: Iron Arm, Enfeeble, Smite
Tervigon 3: Iron Arm, Smite, Endurance
Zoey 1: Psychic Shriek, Puppet Master
Zoey 2: Psychic Shriek, Puppet Master
Zoey 3: Psychic Shriek, Dominate
Doom: Psychic Shriek
[/spoiler]
Great powers, but I must first weather some tremendous Taudar shooting!

Dawn of War deployment

Deployment Taudar: On the left side, his Reapers are on the las behind the Aegis, with Riptide and Broadsides and Jetseer right next to them. Empty Wave Serpent in on the far left. The 4 guardian Wave Serpents are on the right.

Deployment Bugs: I place most of my army on the right, 2 Tervigons and one Flyrant. They hide in a line so the Broadsides have no shots at them. The other two flyrants are behind the bunker at the way bottom left with Biovores. 10 gants in a crater middle of my DZ, everything else is reserved, including one outflanking Tervigon (gotta keep the Primary in mind)

Thoughts/predictions?

Turn 1 Eldar:

He suffles around a bit, his Riptide moves to get shot at the Tervigons. Then, it's all shooting. Riptide fires at the two Tervigons and wounds one with his blast. Then all 5 Serpents start firing... One targets the Biovores (it moved and can barey see two) and kills those two. The next targets a full strength Tervigon, (my Warlord)... and kills her! Sonnofabitch! He rolled a 6 for the Shields, and got 5 wounds. I failed all five 3+ saves, and then a single rend from the Shuricannon and I fail the cover save. Crap in a Hat! Three Serpents left, one targets the second Tervigon, and gets another 6 for shields! Fortunately, when he wounds me 7 times between all his shots, I "only" fail 4 saves and he has to use a fourth serpent to finish the Tervigon off... Finally the last Serpent targets the Flyrant he can see and does three wounds despite cover.

Turn 1 Tyranids:

I'm in a state of shock after what just happened... I've seen Serpents shoot and never seen it go that poorly. Part of it was a dismal showing by my dice however... Apparently rolling low for Iron Arm has continued! I roll my Iron arms, and fail one test, the other gets Toughness 7... I come to the immediate decision to get the heck out of there. All three Flyrants leave the board. The Biovore positions himself carefully so that he can't be seen no matter where my opponent moves.

My plan for what's next:
Ouch! I have one chance, and that's to overwhelm my opponent between reserves and the Flyrants on my turn 2... fortunately he has no targets on his turn.

Turn 2 Eldar:
He can only see the 10 man gant squad. They die. His reapers/Spiritseer get in the empty transport, leaving the Commander on the quadgun. He shoots his Serpents around, so all have rear armor to a board edge.

Turn 2 Tyranids: Reserves incoming! I fortunately have the 2+ thanks to Hive Commander, so there should be lots of pain! Just kidding, Zoanthropes, the Doom, and gants all roll 1s to come in. Then, despite rerolling sides thanks to Warlord trait, my Tervigon comes in on the right, where I can basically threaten nothing... with almost everything failing to show up, I decide to not throw my Flyrants at his gun line. They instead line up out of LoS of his riptide thanks to the tower. I then shoot all three Tyrants at a single Wave Serpent. After all the dust from Strength 6 hits clears... it's fully intact. 27 hits led to 0 glances. He didn't even do anything for cover saves or Serpent shields, I just didn't roll a 6. On the top left, there is a single point of good fortune when my Ymgarls assault his Broadsides and whiff, allowing them to stay in combat.

Below are the Flyrants in formation: Note the Serpents I failed to scratch, and my oddly blurry arm.




Turn 3 Eldar: His Serpents manuevre, and proceed to gun down two Flyrants. My rolls are so miserable that I can't even pass a 3+ save or a grounding check. One Serpent and 11 guardians jump out by my Tervigon, and kill her despite the Ruins she is in. He rolls high for rends, and I roll very low on saves. Again. His Farseer (who had advanced slightly last turn) jumps up and kills the Biovore in assault, after taking a wound from perils.Ymgarls break the Broadsides and sweep them.

Turn 3 Tyranids: The Zoeys and my gants come in (I still have the 2+, but the Doom fails. Again.). Zoeys land and try to Psychic Shriek the Commander twice, and fail. I do puppet master him and shoot the Lascannon at a Wave Serpent. I roll a hit, then a one to pen. But, he has Tank Hunter! I reroll another 1 to pen. Frak my life. Gants come in and shoot rear armor of a Wave Serpent but get no damage results. My last Flyrant jumps off the board. Ymgarls multi charge the Kroot and Riptide. I murder the kroot and they fall back off the board, but his Riptide rolls snake eyes and stays in combat... :O

Turn 4 Eldar: His Seer jumps around, and move around a bit. They shoot the gants and Zoeys off the table, and the Spore Pod.

Turn 4 Nids: Ymgarls whiff against his overcharged Riptide, he fails to wound me. Tyrant comes in and Vector Strikes the Farseer, killing her so I get Warlord. Shooting fails to wound the Commander.The Doom, by the way, tried to go next to his Riptide, but instead flew 9" away and hit the board edge and got delayed. Ymgarls take the Riptide down a few wounds but lose a few.

Turn 5 Eldar: His Serpents align to blast my Flyrant down (I failed my grounding check first time again, of course.) In CC, his Riptide passes all saves and kill a Ymgarl, finishing off one squad. The other rolls boxcars for Morale...

Turn 5 Nids: Ymgarls rally but can't assault, so hide behind a rock. Doom goes after the Riptide and scatters off the board AGAIN.

Turn 6 Eldar: He decides to gun down my Ymgarls and drops 4 units into my DZ for Primary. I have no units currently on the board.

Turn 6 Nids: The Doom decides now is a good time to finally land and take vengeance on those damn Eldar that dared to get out of their transports. Actually, the Doom tried to land between two squads, and flew off the board again. At this point he is delayed, so I have no units remaing and I am tabled in absolute humiliation...

FINAL: 17-1 Eldar-Tau

Post-game: This game was decided by the dice. I felt like every move I did was countered by low or high rolling on someones part. I literally could not succeed at anything I attempted. My opponent was actively apologizing for how the game went, and we both had a bad taste in our mouths. I played till the end because I don't believe in quitting, but this was over way too fast. My opponent agreed that we would have to get a rematch in sometime, because this was just one of those games. At 0-1 I am out of the running to win it all, and now have to run the table to get a respectable record...

No comments:

Post a Comment